Baking a cake from scratch is easier than you think, and can save you money over expensive cake mixes! Little-known fact: BUTTER gives yellow cake its color!
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray non-stick coating on pan(s).
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix sugar & butter until creamy (I use a stand mixer).
- Add eggs and vanilla to mixer, beat thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time, adding milk in between times. Mix well for about a minute.
- Pour batter evenly in greased pans.
- Bake 29 – 33 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Add filling and frosting!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American