Easy and fast 1-Hour Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles. Plus, a sugar-free variety with less than 5 calories per slice! Includes best cucumbers to pickle, and which vinegar to use and what not to use!
- 6–10 pickling cucumbers, sliced thin or in wedges
- ~ optional other veggies (e.g., onion, carrots, etc., see list)
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher coarse (or pickling) salt
- 1 cup sugar or Stevia natural sweetener (great sugar-free snack!)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seed
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3 clean quart jars with lids
- Add all ingredients except veggies in a large pan, bring bring to a boil on stovetop.
- Prepare veggies and add to jars, leaving 1″ headspace
- Add brine to jarred veggies (if not quite enough liquid, add water to fill completely, this will vary depending on how packed veggies are)
- Cover jars and turn over several times to mix.
- Place in refrigerator, turn jars to mix again in one hour. Then turn 2x daily to keep them mixed.
- I’ve heard they keep in fridge for 2-3 months. Mine never last that long!
Other foods that are great pickled: asparagus, beets, bell peppers, blueberries, cauliflower, carrots, cherries, fennel, ginger, grapes, green beans, jalapeño, mushrooms, onions, parsnips, peaches, peppers, radishes, ramps, rhubarb, strawberries, squash, tomatoes, turnips, watermelon…even hardboiled eggs are great pickled! (List adapted from Epicurious)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: American