Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a super healthy way to get your daily intake of vegetables, that’s so tasty and fresh – and a great way to use up those zucchinis from your garden!
- 4 medium zucchini (about 8 inches long, each)
- 2 C shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 C chopped tomatoes (or blend into a sauce)
- 1/4 C chopped red onion
- 1/2 C loosely packed, chopped, fresh basil
- 1/2 t. of each: minced fresh garlic, rosemary and thyme
- 3/4 pound ground beef (optional)
- Optionally, you can add chopped vegetables such as fresh mushrooms, sweet red pepper, chopped green pepper (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare zucchini: Cut off ends, and cut lengthwise. Scoop out pulp and seeds (use a spoon), leaving 1/2-inch shells.
- Drizzle the zucchini shells with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Prepare the zuke’s stuffing (filling): finely chop vegetables
- If using meat cook it a skillet, with onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into the zucchini shells. If not using meat, and not cooking, then simply add ingredients to shells.
- Place in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until zucchini is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- When scooping out the pulp for Zucchini Boats, use a teaspoon.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Appetizers
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 zucchini
Keywords: zucchini, vegetables, vegetarian, garden, healthy, app, appetizer, snack