Cat in the Hat Whimsical Birthday Cake Recipe
For Dr. Seuss’s birthday, my daughter is celebrating by giving a Cat in the Hat book report in the form of a Dr. Seuss birthday party! For the occasion, we made a whimsical Cat in the Hat Birthday Cake, using a yellow cake recipe. It is reminiscent of the cake in the book The Cat in the Hat, by Dr Seuss. She’s so excited to bring it to school and share with her class.
To get the funny off-kilter top layer, I used a baking rack from my turkey pan to hold the cake pan at an angle in the oven.
Why Bake a Cake from Scratch?
With cake mixes so readily available and cheap, making a cake from scratch has become a lost art. I usually stock up on cake mixes when they’re on sale or I have a coupon. My cake mix stock-up price is 75¢ or less. And, you still have to add eggs and oil or butter so that adds to the cost of a cake mix! Besides, baking a cake from scratch is fun! Buy the ingredients in bulk to save even more!
Cat in the Hat Birthday Cake recipe Step by Step
Cat in the Hat Birthday Cake recipe is easy and fun. Frosting the cake was equally creative and fun. And, you can’t go wrong because it’s supposed to look sloppy and fun!
Check out our easy white frosting recipe in link!Print
Easy Yellow Cake Mix Recipe
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
Baking a cake from scratch is easier than you think, and can save you money over expensive cake mixes! Little-known fact: BUTTER gives yellow cake its color!
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray non-stick coating on pan(s).
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix sugar & butter until creamy (I use a stand mixer).
- Add eggs and vanilla to mixer, beat thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time, adding milk in between times. Mix well for about a minute.
- Pour batter evenly in greased pans.
- Bake 29 – 33 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Add filling and frosting!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American