Tom and Jerry batter is the perfect accompaniment to a Hot Toddy style drink enjoyed prmiarily in colder months, and for Thanksgiving and Christmas! Mix with Rum or Brandy for an adult-drink that will warm you up fast.
- 12 large eggs, separated
- ½ t. salt
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 3 lbs confectioners’ sugar
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. ground nutmeg
- 1 t. ground cloves
- 1 t. ground allspice
- In a large mixing bowl (metal or glass works best), beat egg whites with salt until foamy and stiff peaks form. In other words, when you lift your beater or whisk straight up, the egg whites should form a sharp peak that holds its shape.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks to soft peaks.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla to the large bowl with butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and egg whites, and beat until well blended.
- To store Tom and Jerry mix, keep in refrigerator for up to 14 days, or three months frozen.
To make a traditional Tom and Jerry drink:
- Fill a cup or mug 3/4 full with hot water.
- Add 1 shot (jigger, or 1 oz) rum or brandy (or both!), OR you can use warm milk, hot cocoa, or eggnog
- Add a heaping tablespoon of Tom & Jerry batter.
- Enjoy responsibly!